Saturday, November 29, 2008

APA Classes

The APA classes in Canberra have gone to shit, put simply. I am partly to blame though, as I have not made a presence for nearly two months. Everything is falling apart, so now I have to step up again to sort it all out.

I'm planning on making a few changes for next year, which I have detailed below.

- Keep classes running from 1.45-4pm on sundays. This seemed the best time for instructors.
- Go back to running classes on a fortnightly basis. This allows for all day training sessions to be run on the non-class sundays.
- Run instructor training sessions. These will probably occur on sundays that classes aren't on, from 3-5pm, taking place at the spot where classes will be held the following week. These sessions will go through what will be taught at the class on the following sunday. This way all the instructors understand what will be taught. Instructors that don't come to these instructor training sessions, will not be allowed to come to class the following week, the reason being as they will not have learnt what we plan on teaching. I plan on running these sessions to start with, but I know that others will most likely want to help out as well, which will be accepted.
- Only let those who are serious, instruct. The quality of instructing has gone down, so only the committed and competent instructors will be allowed to instruct.
- I'm going to get rid of the organiser idea that I tried to implement. I'm going to take responsibility for organising the programs for the classes. We will then go through this program at instructor training. If others want to organise a class, they just have to ask.
- I'm going to get rid of the instructor qualification levels. It didn't really achieve anything. I will decide whether someone is competent/dedicated enough to instruct.
- I will have to implement some rules for classes, such as not mucking around and no swearing. We are seen as professionals, so must act accordingly at classes.

These are just the beginning ideas that I plan on implementing for classes next year. The main point is that I have to start taking charge again.

No comments: