Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pine Island

Tonight I trained with ruoF at Pine Island near Tuggers. it was really good natural training, around the rocks and the river. We were training pretty late in the day, and soon found ourselves caught in the dark. I had to rely on a lot more of my sense to be able to move around int he dark. The biggest achievement was how we got back to the mainland. You see, to get to Pine Island, you have to jump from rock to rock, and these jumps aren't that small. Now coming back from Pine Island, we couldn't make the jump that we had used to get there. It was starting to get pretty dark, so we were starting to lose our sight dramatically. We looked at another way to get across the river, but realised we couldn't make that jump either, especially not in the dark. Searching along the island, ruoF foudn another jump we "might" be able to do to get back. I first thought that it was too big, but he managed to pull it off. That then meant that it was my turn. I lined myself up, sizing up the jump. Remeber that it was really dark, and the jump looked so big, especially over a rushing river. I remember thinking, "I have to make this jump or I won't be able to get back." I set myself, then I did it. I just did it! I would have to say that it was the biggest standing precision I've ever done, I'll have to confirm this though when I go back to Pine Island during the day. I'd like to think that I put myself in the 'Fight or FLight' mindset, where i had to do it in order to get home.Im proud that I made that jump, but even prouder about how much I committed myself to making it, because I knew that if I didn't, I would have met a vey wet ending. I'll have to go back to Pine Island, but will make sure that I leave the island before it get dark.

No comments: