Friday, December 28, 2007

Progression vs Sampler

I recently asked the question, what makes a progression video different from a samper.

I asked a few people and have finally come up with a definition, that relates to parkour. Chippa was a major help with this.

Sampler:

A sampler shows the traceur at their peek performance, doing their best moves. It shows other people the skill level that the traceur is currently at, without showing how the traceur got there.

Progression:

A progression video demonstrates the skill of the traceur, while also showing how the traceur got there. It is a training implement for the traceur to use to gain advice from others as well as teach others.
It may show the traceur performing various movements from various angles, so that the traceur can be given the best advice for improvement.
It may also show how the traceur builds up to their current skill level, how they work their way up to bigger moves. That way the traceur can teach others how they train and learn new techniques.

This is the best definitions I can currently think of, I may edit them later in the future.

In regards to these definitions, I've realised that the video that I am making, is more a progression video than a sampler. I will be showing movements from different angles, so that I can be given advice on improvement. It will also show how I build up to bigger movements, like double cat passes and cat pass to arm jumps. It will also have some sampler-like tendencies, such as showing big movements, but I will also be showing how I worked towards achieving these movements.

I plan to release a video every 6 months or so, that way I can properly document the progression in my training.

I should hopefully have the video done in the next few weeks. I plan on finishing the filming in this coming week, then finish the editing in the two weeks after that.

No comments: