Saturday, March 22, 2008

5.10 Freerunner shoes

I've finally been able to properly test my new 5.10 Freerunner shoes.

First impressions are that they are extremely comfortable. The shoes completely supports the feet, having the heel pressing into the right areas so that it sin't uncomfortable. They are also reasonably flexible, straight out of the box.

During training, I found that the sole was not too thick, so that I could still feel the ground, reminding me to land correctly.

The rubber is extremely grippy, so grippy that I was able to do straight arm climb ups. This may be a downside though, as new people training parkour will not leaern the proper technique for climb ups. For those who do know though, it helps out a lot with getting that extra bit of push. Grips on rails is a bit slippery, but that can be expected for any shoes.

The cushioning in the shoe is not that thick, which allows for proper movement. You may want to look for insoles to get that extra bit of cushioning.

I found that when I was practicing bigger precisions, the top of my toes would rub against the inside of the shoe. This may wear off though as I break in the shoes more.

I regards to durability, that will have to be a test of time. A bit of rubber did come off the front tip of the shoe during training, but it was so insignificant that it was nothing to worry about.

A big thing with this shoe is that it is re-soleable. One thing I find when training is that the soles of my shoes tend to wear down quicker than the rest of my shoe. If this happens with these shoes, and I think that the rest of the shoe is still up for soem abuse, I'll just buy the re-sole kit.

In Canberra we've found that these shoes are awesome, a lot better than any other shoe we've used. For some reason it has given us a lot more confidence to try bigger movements,as we know that our shoes will support it. Some may disagree with this, but if it works. We've found that these shoes so good that we've made a 5.10 Freerunner handshake, which resembles closely to the Soulja Boy dance.

Overall, I think the new 5.10 Freerunner shoe is awesome and is definately worth buying. A shoe doesn't help you improve technique, it's the people training around you who do, just remember that.

No comments: