Thursday, May 8, 2008

Melbourne Trip - Summary

So now my trip is over, but I've learnt a lot of things. So I thought it would be fitting to write a summary of the trip, not about the events, but what I learnt and how i have been affected.

I went to melbourne with a few goals in mind. I was wanting to go to do some serious training that would help me in my progression. The idea was to spend as much time as possible with Chippa and the more experienced guys, training as much as possible and learning all that was there. I wasn't going to melbourne for the spots, but for the people, the thinking that is down there.

Did I achieve everything I wanted to achieve? In some ways I did and in some I didn't.

During the trip, I met a lot of new people. I've made a lot of new friends and contacts, and liek to think that I've strengthened my reputation in the melbourne scene. Getting to know the rest of the Trace Elements guys, training with the newer melbourne instructors, is something that I will cherish in a way.

The Trace Elements performance made me really appreciate parkour, in how much of an art is can be. For me, the performance was pure art, something that i could really appreciate from a traceurs perspective. Watching someone move in such a way, is amazing. And Josh said, it was a whole new type of movement.

I didn't get the oppostunity to truly train with the more experienced guys, as they were too busy with the performance. but I did learn a lot from just talking with Chippa. We talked about everything to do with parkour, the thinking, teaching, techniques. What we've learnt and encountered, and what we're striving to achieve. I've learnt that I have a long way to go in order to refine my techniques, mainly being climb ups and rolls. I've also realised that there is a long way for me to go with getting my instructor qualification, that it is something that I will have to work towards.

I also took a lot of ideas that I will aplpy here in Canberra, both with the classes and with our training. Hopefully there will be a few changes that will really test people.

For the classes, we're going to start using the wristbands method, instead of the sign in sheet. I also want to start having first-timers classes, but then let people have their first two classes free. I want to run one first for the whole class, then start from there, that way everyone in the classes will be kept up to date. The first one will mainly be a talking session. Mixed witha few things.

I also want to cut away FNC, and start having a night similar to Melbourne's Rape Night, where we just continuously work on techniques, then finish off with intense conditioning. Something that will leave us unable to walk properly, something to really work us physically and mentally. I'm also going to star running between training spots. i did it in melbourne and realise how much we should be doing it here in Canberra.

I'm also keen to make a Canberra Parkour handshake. I have an idea (that isn't like the 5.10 dance) that incorporates parts from the David Belle group handshake to the different handshakes in Melbourne and Sydney. I'll see how the rest of Canberra like it.

i even came back with a Ped Rag. Something as a souvenier from my trip to melbourne, that is unique to canberra.

Did i achieve everything i originally acheived in melbourne? No, in that I didn't get to train with the real experiencved guys as much as I was hoping too, but this is something that can be done in the future. I did achieve things that I wasn't planning on achieving, such as meeting so many new people.

I have taken a lot from my trip to melbourne, and i hjope to be able to do this same type of trip to sydney, hopefully in july.

1 comment:

ruoF said...

Challenging exercise...YAY! I'll so come to Sydney with you this time man, just make sure I have notice.