Saturday, May 31, 2008

APA Class - Civic

Today we taught class in civic.

Started with the normal warm up with dynamic stretches, landings and rolls.

Then we moved to the bus depot to work on balance and wall climbs. While we were there I tried a good precision and tic-tac to arm. I have to go back there and practice it more. While the group was doing wall climbs, I tried a foot trial, but I bailed it. I managed to catch myself straight away though. What happened was that instead on landing on top of the wall, my left foot hit into it, so I started falling, but I was already leaning over the wall. Straight away I caught myself with my hands without even thinking. I remember talking with Rhys about the unconscious ability that parkour experience gives you, like being able to catch yourself when you bail. This was definately evident in my bail today, which is proof for me that parkour has developed m,y subconscious.

From there we moved to the stairs for conditioning, everybodys favourite part of the class. LOL! We pushed them hard, but thats the whole point in conditioning. We also participated as well. I tried the 3 step 2 step hopping thing, as opposed to the 2 step 1 step that we normally do. it wasn't too bad on two feet, but was a lot harder on one foot, I couldn't make it all the way. For FNCs I'll make sure to do it all the way. I even got pushup hops all the way up. I had to stop 3/4 of the way up, to catch my breath, but then continued to finish the whole set. Conan was then inspired to do it himself, pausing at the same point that I did. It just comes to show that you should always set something to aim for, if you can't make it all the way, just pause to have a short rest, but always get back up to finish it, reaching your goal. At the end of it we all felt pretty tired, some of us instructors even feeling a bit sick, which is good as it shows that we pushed ourselves to our limits.

From there we went back to noise wall to warm down.

Over all the class was good. We only had 15 participants, but it was a pretty bad day for weather. Only 3 of them were new though, which is definately showing that our retention rates are picking up. There were also a fair amount of girls, they were all friends, but it was still good to see. It definately good to see that more girls are getting interested in parkour.

I have big plans for my training, the only thing is that I have to follow through with it, make time to be able to do it. I've now thought of what I have to do, I jsut have to do it. We'll see what happens.

No comments: