Friday, June 27, 2008

FNC

Had FNC again tonight.

This time it was me and Larkin. He's still new to parkour, but its good that he's showing up. he's definately showing an interest in training properly and seriously. He also stuck with me through most of the session!

Did most of the program. I still have found the one program that i can get all the way through.

Started at noise wall. Did the normal lazys, speed vaults and cat passes. Also added cat pass pulls. I felt it working a bit in my arms. I guess only time will tell if it's actually benefiting in the arm push from cat passes.

Skipped the rolls, as Larkin had a sore back from a past training session.

Went to toast. Did the full 100 precisions this time! Main it was hard to keep going. Added in upper body exercises every 10 precisions. Something to vary the training, keep up the interest. So that it wasn't just precision after precision after precision.

From there we moved to the underneath toast. On the way we stopped in a small grocery store to buy drinks (Traceurade). The store owner was so cool. He gave us free sausage rolls. I'm going to go there every FNC, to get a drink at the half-way point of the session.

Once underneath toast, the plan was to practice wall runs to climb ups, on a flat wall, with no rail or overgrip. The wall i was planning on using ended up being a failuer. It was far to slippery to grab on to, and the wall itself was pretty slippery.

I was then planning on moving to the stairs, to do strength conditioning, but Larkin was keen to check out customs. he'd heard about it but had never been there.

So I took him there, thinking that we'd probably get booted straight away, but we didn't. We were probably there for about 15 minutes. I showed larkin the tic tac precision that he'd heard about. i also got to get in 20 sets of my arm jump to climb up to turn vault. My climb ups using rails is definately improving. i can now do them on both sides, as opposed to my once dominant left side.

We eventually got booted, so we moved on to the Canberra Theatre stairs. Did the quadrapedal and hopping work, as well as the various mini exercises. Then we warmed down.

The session lasted for about three hours, which seems to be the average time for FNC. This is good, it's three hours of intense training.

At the end of the session, we were both exhausted. I'm finding that my endurance through FNC is definately improving. I'm starting to get less tired after each week. I've written up another revised program. Hopefully we will be able to get through it next week.

I'm really happy with where my training is going. Training everyday has definately helped me progress. FNC has definately been a major contributer. Not only does it condition my techniques and strength, but it also conditions my mental. I'm a lot more confident with myself. I feel like I'm doing more physical training than mental training. This is something I got from Rhys. Physical is what progresses you. You see the obstacle, know you can do it, then do it. Where mental training is seeing the obstalce, knowing you can do it, but thinking about the consequences of failure. This then leads to you not attempting the obstalce, restricting your progression. I used to train with a mental mindset, always thinking about the consequences of failure, but I now think that I've started to train in a more physical mindset. Knowing that i can do something, then doing it, committing to it. Committment is the most important thing when training parkour. Not commiting can lead to injury.

I've learnt a lot from this continuous training period, progressed really far. And I'm only two weeks into the five week session. I can't wait to see what I'm like at the end of the five weeks.

No comments: